Saturday, July 23, 2011

Victorian and Edwardian Trade Cards, Postcards, etc.


1914 Postcard
After finding a 1908 Valentine at a thrift store the other day, I wondered how hard it would be to find more of them.  Not too hard, as it turns out.  I went to an antique store, and the guy more or less told me, "Old greeting cards?  Good lord, I've got boxes of that stuff in that closet over there.  Have at it."  In the spirit of vintage fashion, here are two trade or advertising cards from the 1880s that I found in one of the boxes. 

So. Weird.  A little internet surfing has revealed that there are at least two more in this series, "The Dude at his Toilette," showing the Dude getting ready for a night on the town, and "The Dude Masher," the preliminary to the one in which he captures the girl.  With patience and perseverance, maybe someday I will acquire the complete set.  Here are some of the other specimens I decided to keep:
Calling Card

Organ Advertisement


1908 Valentine

Although it was sent in April, so probably not a Valentine

Back of the "To My Sweetheart" postcard above.  A postcard between sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment