Thursday, July 21, 2011

An Interesting Discovery in Muncy Valley


I have been having an unusual amount of luck with the antique store scene lately.  I found this blue and white striped cotton dress at a great cluttered antique store in Shamokin, PA.  Normally I don't find antique stores that have any clothes, but this one had a whole big rack of old dresses ranging from quite old and expensive 20s and 30s dresses to this affordable and festive seaside 60s or so dress.  I had never been to Shamokin before.  It is a town deep in the coal regions known for its somewhat run-down appearance.  Who knew there would be a fun and exciting antique store there!  I  may go back at some point and get some pictures of these old aluminum doll-houses that the lady had covering the entire upper shelf of one wall.  I see these doll-houses every now and then, but I've never seen like thirty of them at once.  Impressive! 

These pictures of the blue striped dress were taken in Eagles Mere, PA.  This is a little mountain resort town that is too ritzy as far as antique stores go, but it had a nice gazebo and flowers. 




On the way home I stopped at an antique store in Muncy Valley, PA.  I got a nice hat there, but by far the coolest thing in the store was this:

Elephant costume!  Complete with American flag...clearly this is a relic of some political rally in early or mid twentieth century America (probably more toward the early end).  I'll tell you what, this thing was creepy.  And the guy had it hanging behind a cabinet so I only got the barest glimpse of it at first.  When I peeked over the cabinet I was spooked, and then amazed.  I've never seen something like this before.  It wasn't even really that expensive.  Twenty nine dollars seems perfectly reasonable for an antique elephant costume.  Imagine what this elephant has seen through those disturbing eye cut-outs!  But I guess one has to draw the line somewhere when it comes to antiquing.  So it is still available, in Muncy Valley, PA!

1 comment: