Thursday, November 21, 2013

Weekend in Santa Barbara


This past weekend I went to Santa Barbara for a mini vacation with my boyfriend. We saw one of California's old missions, built in the late eighteenth century, and spent some time at the beach and walking around downtown Santa Barbara. My favorite part was probably staying in a little studio apartment I had booked online. We did the same thing when we went to Sedona, AZ last summer. I don't know why I love staying in other people's studio apartments so much. I guess it is a little strange, but I think I just like the idea of having a little space all to yourself, with a kitchen included!

We were able to hit one thrift store on the trip. I didn't find any vintage clothes or crafting supplies, but I did find this amazing mounted print of an illustration by Kay Nielsen. I did a little research when I got this picture back to the studio and discovered that Nielsen was a Danish man who illustrated the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon," in the early twentieth century. This illustration is one from that book. I think it is simply wonderful. I had no idea that it had this history behind it when I found it at the store, but it was such a magical image that I had to have it!

My boyfriend was caught in a "should I or shouldn't I" dilemma with a "Balco" t-shirt he found at the thrift shop. I still don't quite understand what he was talking about, but I guess Balco was at the center of some steroid scandal or controversy related to major league baseball in the nineties. I was just like, "okay, you seem to be extremely amused by this shirt, so you should just get it!" He waffled about it the whole time we were there, and finally decided not to get it. Then, the next morning, he said, "Mmmm…maybe we should go back and get that Balco shirt???" He acted like I was going to be annoyed or something, but it's not like I ever mind an extra thrifting excursion. There's always a chance I missed something the first time around. So, we went back! And he got the shirt! Dilemma solved. I still have no idea what was so special about it, but that's sports for you.

Santa Barbara had some very ritzy antique and vintage stores. We browsed in a few. There were beautiful things to see, but I just can't spend a lot of money on old things that you can find much cheaper in less tourist-run areas. There was a spectacular blue velvet dress from the 50s or 60s in one of those shops. Alas, another dress that got away! But at $75, it just wasn't worth it to me. I will have to keep an eye out for something similar.

Hopefully I will be able to post something about my **finished** quilt in the next few weeks. It's not there yet, but I have started tying it. Yes, I decided to turn it into a knot quilt, with a tiny bit of handquilting in a few areas for effect. A shameless cop-out? Perhaps. But I want this quilt to be done! I have so many other quilts I want to begin, and this one is getting in my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment