Saturday, October 19, 2013

An AMAZING Thrift Store Find! The Flower Quilt.

Wow, so I haven't been thrift shopping in a while because I rarely have time for it when I'm in California. Most of my thrifting happens on the east coast during vacations. But today I had to ride my bike all the way to CVS to pick up a prescription (our insane health plan at school has once again decided to switch prescription providers and now the only pharmacy we can use is CVS. Is this even legal?! I mean, isn't it a problem that some people can't drive to CVS to pick up medications? Ugh, a rant for another day.), so I decided to swing by Irvine's Assistance League thrift shop. It's a tiny thrift store, but every now and then I find something cool there.

Well, today definitely did not disappoint!


I cannot BELIEVE this quilt! It is so gorgeous, and was obviously painstakingly handmade by some highly talented person in the recent or distant past. I'm curious about its age. The fabrics used in the flowers make me want to say it's vintage, but I don't know enough about it to say for sure. Perhaps they are just vintage style fabrics. The quilt is in immaculate condition.



It is full size even though I've spread it across my twin bed for photographing purposes. Perhaps the best thing about this quilt was the price I got it at: $12.50!!! The thrift store had initially marked it as $50, but it was included in their 75% off sale today so I got it at an absolute steal! Considering the amount of fabric and labor that went into this, it is worth way more than $12.50, but I am still thrilled that I was able to afford it at the sale price, and that now it has a new home where it will be appreciated.



I also love the single flowers that help make up the green and white border of this quilt. Overall, a delightful find! It was probably amusing for bystanders as I struggled to wrangle this thing into my tiny bike basket before wheeling home. I was concerned that the plastic bag would tear and I'd get some dirt on it, but in the end the quilt happily sustained no injuries!

I am not sure what I am going to do with this quilt yet. I have about four quilts that I have found at thrift stores now, but most of them are in Pennsylvania. I keep on dreaming of a time when I will have a house with beds to put them all on, but for now they are stored away, with the exception of the double wedding ring quilt I have on my twin bed. I'd hate to add this to the growing number of quilts that are slowly aging in my closets, so I am thinking of giving it to my boyfriend to use in his living room as a snuggle blanket for his couch. His living arrangement is in a time of transition between roommates and he thus lacks many creature comforts, such as a kitchen table, hand towels, cookie sheets, and a million other items. It is a very sad bachelor pad. Lately I have been complaining about the lack of a blanket in his living room, because I get chilly in there. So maybe this will be his new blanket! I have to think about it though and decide if he will actually like/want it, because, as you can see, it is rather flowery. I think he likes flowers though, so I'll see what he thinks! It will be hard to give it up, but I think he needs it more than I do right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment