Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recent Thrift Store Acquisitons

This has been a great week for thrift store finds.  Although there is a lot of work I am supposed to be getting done this summer, being at my parents' house for a few months leads to a lot of thrift shopping in and around central PA.  Here are two amazing vintage finds that I came upon at two different Salvation Army stores this week. 




This dress is from the sixties I believe, and although it is made of some kind of poly blend material, it is beautiful!  It sort of reminds me of the older sister to one of the two dresses I bought from Anthropologie back during a period of profligate spending, the "Dandelion Wish" dress.  This dress also has a dandelion pattern to it.  Even though this dress is rather large (and was mistakenly placed in the nightgown section at the Sal Val!), the tie at the waist makes it fit well.  I was so excited to find it, especially since I had pretty much resigned myself to a failed thrift excursion by the time I made it to the nightgowns.




My second find of the week was this purse.  I am fairly new to this whole vintage scavenging game, but I saw this out of the corner of my eye at the thrift store and immediately said to myself, "that looks like lucite!"  And it is, in fact, lucite.  These wicker purses (brand name "Princess Charming by Atlas") were touristy accessories made in Florida in the fifties and sixties.  Most of them have a clear plastic overlay on one side of the purse with either shells or flowers behind it as tropical, beachy decorations, but the former owner of this purse purposely removed this embellishment.  You can even see the little holes around the perimeter of one of the sides where the screen was removed if you look closely.  In other respects, though, this purse is in perfect condition and the lucite is beautiful.  I think I kind of prefer it without the screen anyway.  I was poking around ebay looking at some of these purses, and while the shells and things were neat as an old fashion trend, I think I like the simplicty of the wicker purse without the tropical embellishments.

All in all, I'd say this was not a bad ensemble to have put together for a grand total of eight dollars. The moral of the story is, always take a quick look at the nightgown section of your local thrift store. What looks like a nightgown to some people, may not look like a nightgown to others!



No comments:

Post a Comment